The East Asia Forum (EAF) was established in accordance with the recommendation of the East Asia Study Group (EASG) in 2003 to be envisioned as a Track 1.5 platform for the exchange of views and discussion of theme-based issues among government officials, scholars and business sectors in East Asian region.
1. To Maintain the momentum for East Asian cooperation and consolidate ASEAN+3 cooperation process by providing diverse perspectives and constructive ideas on regional cooperation to the governments of ASEAN+3 countries and
2. To foster East Asian regional identity among the people in the region by providing a forum for extensive exchanges and cooperation in various fields.
1. EAF focus its activities on exploring and suggesting practical ways and means to strengthen the ASEAN+3 cooperation including implementation of the EASG recommendation.
2. In order to further strengthen and deepen the regional cooperation, various ASEAN+3 cooperation bodies could request the EAF to conduct research and/ or studies in the areas of mutual interest to all ASEAN+3 countries.
3. EAF also seeks ways to promote balanced development among the ASEAN Member States.
1. An annual plenary meeting to be organized in rotation among the ASEAN+3 countries
2. The report of the EAF plenary meeting shall be adopted on a consensus basis and further submitted to the ASEAN+3 relevant forums and ASEAN+3 Summit.
|1st||14-16 December 2003||Seoul||Peace, Prosperity and Progress in East Asia: Challenges and New Visions|
|2nd||5-6 December 2004||Kuala Lumpur||Towards an Integrated East Asian Community|
|3rd||31 October 2005||Beijing||The Future of East Asia Cooperation: Goal & Approach|
|4th||21-22 November 2006||Siem Reap, Cambodia||East Asia Integration towards Building an East Asia community|
|5th||1 November 2007||Tokyo||Toward Building an East Asian community|
|6th||16 October 2008||Luang Prabang, Lao PDR||Towards East Asia community: Turning Challenges through Greater Cooperation and Collaboration into Opportunities|
|7th||1-2 September 2009||Seoul||Accelerating the Integration of East Asian Community Building|
|8th||25-27 August 2010||Da Lat, Viet Nam|
|9th||15-17 September 2011||Chengdu, China||Accelerating Regional Integration: Internal Growth Engine of East Asia|
|10th||15-17 August 2012||Nay Pyi Taw||“Narrowing the Development Gap in Rural and Urban Communities: Sharing Lessons and Experiences among Us|
|11th||20-22 August 2012||Kyoto, Japan||Enhancing People to People Connectivity: Focusing on Tourism Cooperation|
|12th||25-27 November 2014||Bandar Seri Begawan||Sustainable Growth: The Common Purpose towards a Peaceful, Prosperous and Environmentally-Responsible East Asia’|
|13th||20-21 May 2015||Jeju, Republic of Korea||Prosperous East Asia through Non-traditional Security Cooperation|